Saturday, August 21, 2010

Doggie Heaven III


Jim and Nellie's dog, Rookie
(long haired dachshund) was
gotten as a puppy while they were
in Germany. He was known as
mom and dad's granddog before
Scott was born.
*
He was with them for seven years
when Scott was born. As Scott
got older, he loved Rookie, but
Rookie would bite at him. So,
Rookie became our dog.




Rookie loved living in Key West.
Dad would always give our dogs
the coconut hulls when he would
get them from our trees and
take out most of the coconut.
Dad would always leave just
a little for them to chew on.




While Rookie lived with us, we
acquired another dog, Cissy.
They got along just great!
They both would move with us
when we left the Keys.



Once we moved to our new home,
Rookie's age and health began to
take toll. His beautiful face began
to fill with gray. His defective back
leg made it harder for him to walk.
He had congested heart failure which
brought on his heart to swell,
surrounding with water.
*
Rookie always like to walk down
to the culdesac. One morning he
didn't quite make it back to the
front door, when we heard a
loud yelp followed by a deep
grown. Our beloved Rookie
had had a heart attack that
took him quickly.
*
I'll never forget his beautiful
brown eyes that gave his face a
look of smiling. He loved to
always be where we were.
*
I'm sure in my heart that one of
our surprises in Heaven will be
to see these creations of God
waiting for us and praising
their creator with our entry
to Almighty God's Kingdom!
Rom. 8:21-22


3 comments:

Janet said...

Susie

What a beautiful post and tribute to Rookie. God picked you for a very special purpose and you have served him well.

Thank you for all your wonderful comments on my BLOG. I am so blessed that you are in my life. I prayed that I would find Christians that I could learn from and would encourage me and help me in my spiritual growth. The Holy Spirit placed you and Nellie in my life for that reason and I thank you for that.

Blessings & Love
Janet

Bonnie said...

It is always so sad to lose a pet but I believe like you do they will be waiting for us there. A loving Father wouldn't do it any other way!

Hugs to you, Susie. I am glad the school year is going well for you. I hope your foot and toes are better!

Love, B

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Susan,
Saw your post and it almost made me cry.
Love that pic of Rookie and Cissy in the chair.
Guess I never really realized how well they got along. That is neat! Rookie sure looked happy.
Rookie didn't just snap at Scott he bit him,
twice, once on the hand and the last time between the eyes, he still has the scar!!
That was way too close for comfort, course,
Scott was only 21/2 and cornered him and sat on him, so Rookie defended himself, but even tho, we couldn't have them together anymore.
We were so grateful yall had him that month
while we were moving and had gotten attached cause we knew we were gonna have to let him go, but of course, didn't know that many people at the time, cause it was right after we moved here. So glad the grandparents loved the grandog so much!! lol
I really recognized him most by the shot where he was laying upside down sleeping, that used to crack me up that he slept like that!! So cute!
He was a wonderful dog and really was so much company for me when we were in Germany, and I was lonely. We will always remember Rookie and Zippy!! They were 2 of the best doggies in the world.
Have a great week ahead,
Love ya, Nellie