Saturday, May 1, 2010

Hodge-Podge Saturday


Nellie,
Your flowers have been so beautiful, I went out
and bought myself some! I can't believe how the
colors have a florescent incandescence! As you
look in the background, you can see my ceramic
Fifi and Beaudeau. The little poodle belonged
to Aunt Tommy and Uncle Leslie (from the 1950's!)
The Portuguese Water Dog was given to me by
Alice. (It was given to her and she said she had
no place for it.) She knows how I like dogs, ha!




I found some pictures of Uncle Harry and Aunt
Mary when they visited us in the Keys back in
1967. We were on the peer in Key West.





Sorry about the wash out. I wasn't suppose to
use the flash. I didn't realize it until I had
uploaded it to the blog! Oh, the life of living in
the Keys back in the '60's!


What a catch of spiny lobster! I was looking
for the picture where our dock on the water
had dad's display of over 300 lobsters! I
couldn't find it right now, so I used these
that dad got when Uncle Leslie had visited.
*
Believe it or not, the tails of these were packed
in water and frozen to eat on for a long time!


In the picture above you can see some
of them trying to walk off. I now feel
sorry for them as they were searching
for the water. I would never stay around
when dad "took care" to prepare them for
the freezer. It's kind of like "wringing
off chickens heads" for those who grew
up on a farm.
*
It makes me want to go into a "mode" of
being sorry we have to eat other animals.
But then, when I'm hungry I don't think
about it, only how hungry my stomach is!
*
If the LORD does bring back all of his animal
life in the here after, I surely hope these
lobsters don't come up to me and say,
"Hey, Susie. You remember me, July 4th, 1967?
*
I thought I'd try to end with a bit of humor
(for what it is, lol!)




4 comments:

Janet said...

Hi Susie

Your flowers are so pretty. The lobster....okay I like lobster but I also hate to think we eat animals too. I watched my mom step the heads off the chickens and they ran around without their heads on. I watched this ONCE and then I never ate homegrown chickens again.
Thanks for sharing!
Blessings
Janet

chiefg said...

Nice shot of the lobsters! must have been fun to catch those. Your family pics are nice, reminds me of set my parents gave to me last year out of an old shoe box they had been keeping in the living room closet. Reminds me of how less hectic things seemed to me back then.No cell phones, no cable, no computers, just friends and family and an occasional board game or book to make things interesting.

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hey Susan,
Good for you that you got yourself some flowers. They are just so enjoyable it is worth every cent. Too bad they don't have any scent tho!! lol Guess if we want scent we have to go out in the yard and smell our own flowers. Our honeysuckle has just gone crazy blooming this year, which has been such fun.
Wow, can not believe the amount of lobsters.
Unbelieveable.
Gosh, Jerry does look like Uncle Harry, have to tell Jimmy to take a look. Old family photos are such fun aren't they?? We need to get ours down soon and go thru them, last time we did that was several years back and Dee was here too and we had such a good time looking at them. there were so many pics of her and her daddy that Once Dee said well, where were you Mom??? and then she went Oh......you were taking the picture!! lol
Check your email cause I am sending you something to check out!!
Cute post.
Love ya hon, Nellie

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Oh yea, Your flowers were very pretty by the way!! Thought it never got it written down. lol
Have a good week hon
Blessings and Love, Nellie