Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pet #4


Cuddles joined the family in 2000.
He will soon be 10 years old!
I was at school with the children
on the playground when one of the
children screamed about a bird
on her shoulder. When I looked,
I saw this small cockatiel! He
came to me immediately when
I extended my hand to him. We
went inside and I placed him in
a paper bag. Thank goodness
it was at the end of the day. On
my way home I stopped by the
vet's office and my vet looked
him over really good. Cuddles
was so young, his feet were still
transparent. The vet said he was
about 3 months old. When I took
him home, mom fell in love with
him and he became her bird!
Every day she had him out and
he would walk around her neck
and chest rubbing against her
skin. He would let mom rub
all over his neck and under his
wings. He was a true lubby dubby!
He talks up a storm too! I no
sooner uncover him in the morning
and he starts whistling and saying,
"Good Morning, Cuddles is a pretty bird!
Where's Cuddles? Peek-a-boo!"
When he's ready to go to roost,
you will hear him saying, "Cuddles
wanna go nite nite!" He is a rare
color with not much gray, but a whole
lot of white and yellow. He has always
been a "runt" in size but very big
in heart. I assume he must have been
in an outside aviary. That year
hurricane Floyd had come close to
our coast and we missed a day of
school due to the wind. His outside
cage must have been knocked over
allowing him to escape. I watched
the papers and notices at the vet's
office, but no one ever had a
"lost bird" advertized, so he became
a beloved part of our family. He and
his parrot friends can really make the
noise some days, but it's a happy noise!
You can tell they enjoy the pampering
and spoiling I give to them! God is so
amazing with the beautiful creations
He has made. I believe in my heart He
has each one planned for the right
home and human companion. They
each have their own song they sing to
Him as do we to the Glory of our God!

1 comment:

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Susan,
I had forgotten that you found cuddles like that, and had forgotten the whole story! He really turned out to be a neat lil bird, didn't he!
I remember being at a pool with a friend over by the country club and I had a pet bird of some sort (think it might have been a cockatiel as well) come and land on my chair and then jump on me cause I had something shiny on and he was attracted to it,
but then he flew away, so we were hoping he found his owners.
Can't believe we had freezing temps again last night!! It does look like it will make it to 60, it was 58 a bit ago!
Have a good day, it is nice and sunny, think I might go outside for a few minutes and enjoy it.
Love ya, Nellie