Thursday, September 20, 2012

Xena the Spoiled



I met Xena when I took Gracie to be groomed. My groomer had temporarily taken her to save her from going to the pound. (The Bull Mastiff rescue was also at limit and could take no more.)  She asked me if I would like to adopt her due to her circumstances of no longer being able to be taken care of by her original owner. She was just a year old and seemed confused with her swapping around in homes. We immediately bonded!



She was immediately accepted by my other 3 dogs, 3 birds, and cat. The initial introduction went well as though she had always been with us all!
*
Her vet records happen to be with the same vet I have gone to for the past 27 years! A short time after having her spayed and micro chipped, I took her to the same obedience class my other dogs had gone to. I quickly found out she had already had training and even responded to silent hand signals to the commands! 



Xena is a true joy. She's slow paced as I am myself! She does like to run full blast around my large fence enclosed yard. However, I quickly found out I couldn't trust her to be out without me being there, for with her mass, she would quickly push under the chain length fencing and head off chasing any of the wild animals we have in Florida!
*
She began to have a mind of her own when I would try to get her to come back inside with the other dogs! So, I found a really great low calorie snack to entice her with! Now all I have to do is say energetically, "Let's go get a goody!" All four can't get to the door soon enough, ha!
*
Her favorite place is to lay under my feet or in my lap (98 pounds!) She is always courteous to wait for my signal to do so. She steps ever so gently with one foot on the seat of my chair and then lifts herself to lay on the arm of the chair with hardly any of her weight on me!
*
Another joy of the creation of our GOD!


1 comment:

Janet said...

Susan

Wow 98 pounds that is a big dog but looks so sweet. I can just picture it. Thanks for sharing your family.

Love
janet