Saturday, April 17, 2010

My Tribute to Mom and Dad


(Beginning with mom)
*
What can I say about my mom? There are
so many things. First and foremost, she
loves the LORD with all her heart, soul,
and mind; especially now, for 2 Cor. 5:8
says, "To be absent from the body is to be
present with the LORD." There is no longer
the influence of Satan and the struggle with
the flesh as Paul mentions in Eph. 6:12.

*


From my earliest memory there were
some times we didn't go to church, but
mom started us out young. That's my only
reason as a four year old to know how to
pray to Jesus to get me out of a neighbor's
metal Navy footlocker. I had climbed inside
and shut the top not knowing the latch would
fall over, locking me inside. At that time in the
Keys, all of the trailers in the park had their
air conditioners going. No one could hear my
banging and cries for help...except Jesus. The
Christian mom inside was moved to check and
see if I had gone home. When she opened the
door, the first thing in sight was the locker!
Our God works in Mysterious Ways!
When I was eight, we attended a church mission
newly located on the Key. The pastor made a
request of need from the congregation for
anyone who knew how to play the piano. Right
away I volunteered mom, to her great surprise!
And there, started our growth in the LORD for
over twenty years.



This is a picture of my brother who went
into the Air Force when I went into 9th
grade. At that time the Vietnam War was
at its height of fighting. Being in the Air
Force, he later went to Germany for
his duty.

(Secondly, dad)
At sixteen I became dad's 1st mate on our
boat, as mom was perfectly satisified to
give the position over to me. I became dad's
fishing and skin diving partner as well as
"navigator." Pulling dad behind the boat
allowed him to locate the lobsters and fish.
As for mom driving the boat, she was too
short to see over the bow and once or twice
came too close for comfort with running over
the large brain coral that grew up to within
a few inches to a foot from the surface.
That was not something you would want
to run over with the keel or motor. Mom
always had a healthy fear of water. She
could swim, but it wasn't her first choice of
activity. Mom enjoyed fishing, but not the
slicky, slimy critters she would catch.





We would get anything from a few pounds
to 30-50 pound groupers dad would spear.
She lost all care for deep-sea fishing when
they went out in the Atlantic Gulf Stream on
one of their friends' large cabin cruisers.
The motor konked out and there they were,
this minute speck of a boat in the mist of
hugh tankers and cargo ships passing by
them like a freight train non-stop! Night
fishing ? Forget it! Mom wanted no part of
it. Even my initiation added some extra chum
to the batch. Beach combing? Now that was
one of mom's favorite enjoyments! She
loved going to the uninhabited islands
searching for "treasure." You know the old
adage, "What's one man's junk is another
man's treasure!" That was until one day they
returned to the boat to find the tide had gone
out leaving the boat high and dry on the
sandbar! In those days there were no cell
phones. So, no one knew where they were or
what had happened. Six long hours of waiting
finally brought the tide back in and they
returned home about 10:30 p.m. Suffice it
to say, beach combing became another of
mom's hobbies she would pass on to me.



I think mom enjoyed more, the thrill of dad and I
bringing back things we found when beach
combing. She never knew what we were
coming home with! As you can see, mom and
dad had collected many rare and unusual
bottles.

Many of the bottles had been classified as
old and over 100 years old! Some were just
bottles with notes from people in other
countries to which mom and dad replied
with where their bottle was found.


Some pieces of pottery were found on wreck
sites from old sailing ships back in the 1800's.
Dad had located these when he was skin diving.
The jug on the back left was dated at 110
years old (and that was back in 1968!) I still
have it! Below is a picture of a demy john
jug I still have from when dad found it in
the mangroves with just 2 or 3 inches of the
neck sticking out! The sand in the bottom
is Mississippi sand we collected from bottles
that were sent out from an institute in
Mississippi. They were tracking where the
tides would take the bottles.


More to come...

2 comments:

Janet said...

Hi Susie

I am good thanks for asking. We just got back from our daughters house in Vancouver so I am going to be working on my BLOG later.

I love your dedication to your parents. It is intersting to see how every one grew up and I am so happy that you have always had the Lord in your life.

We live about an hour from the ocean and need to make a trip over there soon. I think we take it for granted since we live so close but we do love the Pacific ocean.

I always have wanted to find a bottle with a message in it. You are very fortunate to get to experience that.

Thankd for sharing. I can't wait to see more.

Blessing & Hugs
Janet

Bonnie said...

Loved this. How fun! Your brother's son, Scott sure does look like him. Wow! I had no idea.

This story reminds me of my Jim and me. He is the adventurous one and I am more like your mom. You guys go have a ball and tell me all about it when you get back! I am looking forward to hearing more.

We have two professional fishermen in our family. We have eaten some very fresh and delicious fish and crabs thanks to them! it kind of spoils you for the market fish actually.

How fun for the recipients of the letters with info about where their bottles and messages came to rest.

Have a great week, Susie. Hang in there with the school situations!

Hugs, B