Sunday, September 16, 2012

Dolly Doodle All My Day

What a Beautiful Little Puppy!
 

One of my friends in the office at school told me her son's dog had puppies he was trying to find homes for. He was having difficulty when people found out they were pit bull/shepherd/chow mix. She was afraid to turn them over to the Humane Society for fear of them being "put down" because of their breed mix. So, I went over for a visit and of course fell in love with a female pup who would soon become known as Dolly! She was like a little rag doll, you just wanted to always hold and squeeze on her (as you can see in the picture!)

 
As I have always done with all of my dogs, Dolly found herself being taken to obedience training school. She did well, passing her sit, stay, come, leave it commands. When she was 6 months she was spayed and micro chipped. 
*
Now at five years old, I'm having to remind her of some of those commands now that my two orphaned/adopted kittens are exciting her to chase them! When she gets reprimanded, you can see the "sheepish" grin as her bottom lip drops to show her lower gum line, ha! I also keep her on a leash when she hasn't kept the command, later letting her loose to which she then behaves herself.
*
She is very loving and has no behaviors associated with aggression (even with the kittens, her chasing is play befitting that of playing with the other dogs.)
*
I did notice one characteristic that goes with the chow. One day Dolly let a yawn so long, her tongue came out and way back where you could hardly see was a black spot the size of your pinkie fingernail. As you see in her picture she has more of a shepherd look with the chow color.
*
All of my dogs have been rescues. Sam from the dog shelter, (Gracie being the exception, from a family friend), Dolly especially from being taken to the Humane Society, and Xena from being sent to the Humane Society to which she would have been put down due to the cost of keeping her there. Xena was given up during the time of a severe economic crises and even the Mastiff rescue were full and could no longer take any in. The LORD has surely blessed me with His creatures that always never cease to amaze me with their affection. As the Dog Whisperer says,  make sure you are the pack leader!   


2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I love the picture of you with your baby, what a cutie Dollie is! She is Lucky to have and vice versa. I am finally visiting after a long absence. You are the sweetest friend to always comment on my posts. You should publish all the day books on your blog so you can have that little record of your life to keep. If you want the template I can tell you how to do it.

Love you Susie! Bonnie

Janet said...

Susan

First of all what a great picture of you. It shows how much you love your animals too.
When and if we ever get another dog we will rescue it.
Our son and his family just got a Beagle mix puppy and boy is she a puppy. She is so cute tho. I will be doing a posting on her.

Have agood week!
Love
Janet