Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Doggie Heaven V


I had never had a pure bred
dog before. Above is the oldest
picture I have of my "Lady Ginger!"
She is a boxer. The closest to her
was Chopper who was Boxer-mix.
*
At the loss of Rookie, my heart was
empty of my canine friends. A
friend in my church had mentioned
a friend of hers, dog had just had
Boxer pups. So, began another
many years of dogs in the family!



Lady Ginger is only 5 1/2 weeks old
in this picture. It was summer and
I had time to take care of her since
I was out of school. She was the runt
in the litter and the other pups
wouldn't let her in to feed. (She
was one of 11 puppies!) So, I took
her home to allow her to get the
much needed nourishment she
needed to grow strong and healthy.






She was so small, but not fragile!
Her energy level was amazing! I
didn't think I could "poop" her
out! She loved chasing her tennis
ball on the bed.


As she grew in statute, her breed
began to show! Her head up, tail
up, feet back (though only one in
this picture. She quickly began
holding both back in her stance!)
And, her eyes on the target!



It didn't take but a few months and
her solid muscle began to show
with all of the exercise she got.





Ginger loved to run among dad's
cannas! I happened to get a
picture of Ginger as she lay resting
in dad's garden of flowers!





As Ginger grew, her tail began to
give her some problems. My vet
(who had taken care of all of my
other dogs) realized that who
had clipped their tails as baby
pups, did not clip hers between
the vertebrae and a piece of bone
was poking her skin. It was
quickly corrected by him as you
can see her shaved tail in this
picture below.


When Ginger was 1 1/2 years old,
she had a litter of her own pups.
Her box had been prepared and
she went in when she was ready.
The vet had checked her by ultra
sound and saw 3 puppies. When
Ginger began to birth, I was there
to help. She had a pup every 30
minutes. Then no more. I
thought she was finished, but an
hour later she had one more!
2 fawn, 1 brindle, 1 black!



When these beautiful puppies
were grown, I sold three and we
kept the "black" pup who would
be named, "Sir Reginald the Marque
Duke!" More to come on him, later!


Ginger would only have one litter.
Her son, Reggie would become her
rival!

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oh how cute are those little puppies! I think you should volunteer to work at your Vet's office when you retire Susie. I don't know anyone who loves animals more than you! Oh except maybe my sister-in-law, Marilyn,...just one more thing Nellie and I have in common!

Hugs to you and all your animals...

Bonnie

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Susie,
I always thought Ginger was such a beauty, love her in that red sweater!! So cute!!
She reminded me of a boxer that we had when I was only around 3-4 yrs. old, his name was Buddy. Ginger was such a cute puppy too.
Glad the Lord is answering your prayers about whatever is going on with school.
Have a good wednesday.
Love ya, Nellie

Janet said...

Hi Susie

Ginger was a beautiful dog and it looked like a playful puppy and a good momma too.

Hope you are enjoying getting back to work and those little ones.

Hugs
Janet