Saturday, August 14, 2010

Doggie Heaven II


After I had gone off to college,
the last of "The Big Coppitt Trio,"
Skeeter, passed away. I was so
heartbroken to know I would
return to only my Mo Cat.
On a Friday before I was to
leave and go home on break,
some girls from the dorm and
I went to the mall. Of all things,
in the middle of the mall, the
Humane Society had some dogs
that needed homes. One of the girls
said this was the dogs last chance
and would probably be put down
if not adopted. My heart broke
again as I went up looking at
all of the beautiful faces of
dogs. One in particular caught
my attention. She was a basset
dachshund mix. She had such
a sadness in her eyes and not
much of a response when I
talked to her. No eye contact,
no tail wagging; in fact she
just lay her head back down
and ignored me. But she had
a beauty about her I just
couldn't explain. I told the
attendant I would take her.
The girls giggled in response!
"Susie, You can't take her
to the dorm!" I replied that
it would be for only a night!
*
It was amazing, the change in
her personality as soon as she
was released from the wire
kennel she was housed in.
She stood up on the side of my
leg stretching, her tail wagged
like a butterfly's wings, she let
out a yawn followed by a vocal
slide from soprano to base! I
then saw her true personality
break out of its darkness of
depression.
*
When we got back to the dorm,
the girls mentioned that she
didn't smell very good. I told
them, "I'll take care of that."
I quickly took her into the
bathroom and used some of
my bath gel and scrubbed
her good. All she wanted to
to do was play in the water!
When I was finished, I couldn't
believe the ring around the
bathtub!
*
I didn't call mom and dad with
the surprise I was bringing home.
I had a 220 mile drive which took
about 5 hours down the two laned
road through the Keys. My new
pup seemed to enjoy it from the
start by rolling all over the
carpet I had in the back of my
station wagon. She soon went
to sleep as the wind whirled in
one window, around and out the
back.
*
Upon reaching home, my first
greeting was, "Look who I have
brought! I know you missed Skeeter
so much, I just couldn't resist
this beauty in the mall the day
before I left to come home! I
named her Dumplins; because
mom likes chicken & dumplings
so much!"
I couldn't understand the blank
look on their faces. It dawned
on me when I left a week later
going back to college when mom
asked, "You're taking your dog
aren't you?"
*
When I came home for the summer,
mom and dad had bonded with
this cute little dog. I then found
out from mom all she had to do;
feeding, potty training, shots, and
a mild case of kennel cough they
had to go through with visits to
the vet.
*
All in all this little dog proved to
be a sweet, adorable little dog
that loved to lay aside you in the
easy chair as you laid it back to
watch t.v. She especially liked
to be next to dad.
*
It was at this time that we
acquired Rookie from Jim and
Nellie. They could no longer
keep Rookie due to his aggression
toward baby Scottie...his story is
to come next.


2 comments:

Janet said...

Susie

Your story warmed my heart. You are a true animal lover and I am sure that the Lord was smiling down on you for rescuing animals and giving them a loving home.
I can't wait to hear about Rookie.

Thanks for the nice comments on my BLOG. You have 8 little girls. I bet they are all special and they are lucky to have you as their teacher.

Have a wonderful week!
Blessings & Hugs
Janet

Bonnie said...

Susie, you are such a compassionate person and so loving and caring towards your animals. They are all lucky to have you. I am glad they give you so much love and pleasure in return! My mom had two little Doxies when she was older. She adored those dogs, one's name was Skeeter the other was Little Buddy.

Hope school is going well for you. I have been absent from the blogs except to post for a few days. We had a wedding reception here last night...that kept me pretty busy.

Love, Bonnie