Monday, May 10, 2010

When Life Becomes Eternal

I care not for yesterday.
It is gone forever.
The gains are now but loss
And must need starting over.

What of today's survival?
It too shall soon be gone.
And what have I accomplished?
Just another day alone.

I care not for tomorrow
Or what vanity it brings.
"All is vanity!" Solomon proclaims.
"All of these earthly things."

Sometimes of things I think,
The beggar on the street
Has less burdens to carry
Than I and all I reap.

I only long for Thee, oh LORD,
And the Eternal Life you bring.
Away from all this vanity,
The corruption by earthly things.

LORD, begin in me, right now, today;
A well of strength, Your Living Water.
Set my eyes toward that Eternal Goal
And let my heart not waiver.

Then all this loss shall become gain.
For You have said,
"I'll never leave you nor forsake you.
So, why all of this dread?"

"I will lead you, walk in My Ways.
I will strengthen you all of your days.
Keep your eyes upon Me,
And you will I lead.
Then, Eternally the Gates of Heaven
I will open unto thee."

Susan Todd
July 12, 2004


It was about a year after mom had died when I wrote this. I had always been with mom and dad, now I found myself by myself. I think everyone finds it hard when you lose your loved ones whether it's your child or your parents. However, the greatest joy of all is that the LORD has promised us we shall see them again!

5 comments:

Janet said...

Beautiful poem.......

Bonnie said...

Wow! I was thinking how wonderful this was as I was reading through it and then discovered it was you who wrote it! Very beautiful Susie! It must be very lonely without your life long companions to share your life with these days. They truly live on in you and Jimmy and his family. What a great legacy they have left for you. And the absolute truth that you will be reunited for all of eternity is your promise! God is so good to us, His love so evident all around us each and every day!

Love and hugs, Bonnie

Bonnie said...

Susie I ran across one of my old posts about my mother~thought you might enjoy it and identify.

http://bonsblogbydesign.blogspot.com/2009/11/melancholy-baby.html

You can just copy and paste the link into your address box above.

sistersusiesays said...

What a wonderful post, Bonnie. It is as you said! As my mom took care of me, in her time of need Jimmy, Nellie, and I took care of her! I think that is the most important thing in life...taking care of your parents in their older age. Nellie was just wonderful with the tnings she did with mom; decorating her room, reading to her, and the many different activities she did with mom. I would stop by after work and just hug and love on her the way a mother does her child. Jim would stop by after work and share his love with her as well. I think that's the Agape Love God wants us to have. "Peter, do you 'Agape' me?" His reply was, "You know I do." Christ had to ask him three times before Peter relized what Christ was truly asking Him. Then He told Peter to, "Feed my Sheep." Christians have an amazing love for one another. Thank you, Bonnie for "...feeding His Sheep" with your comments to me.
Blessings on your and yours,
Susie

Bonnie said...

So true Susie! It is nice to remember them with a special fondness and love.