Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pet #2

Sammy is next in line to my oldest.
He is going on 12 years old.
I got him from the local Humane
Society when he was 8 weeks old.
He and his siblings were in a
play room and up for adoption.
He is lab/springer spaniel mix.
I was surprised how easily he was
to house train. He slept on a pillow
next to me on my bed. As soon as I
felt him begin to move about, I'd take him
outside to do his thing and he would
sleep for the rest of the night.
At 10 weeks I took him to begin his
obedience training. He did very well
and still today follows the commands
he learned. In his senior years he
for most part sleeps behind the couch
against the wall. He likes to tunnel to the end
yet has to back up to get out.
All I have to do, to get his attention
is sneak something out to the den to eat.
He has a nose on him (which I guess he
gets from the springer spaniel) and before
I know it, he's standing by looking for handouts!
He's not one to want much petting, but I
do sometimes catch him in a bear hug to which his
strength still allows him to wiggle out of.
When thinking of the beautiful animals God created
for us, I'm sure they are important to Him also.
I always claim Romans 8:21-22 which tells
of God's whole creation being delivered,
"...Because the creature itself shall also be delivered
from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the Children of God."

1 comment:

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Susie,
Glad to see you posted, I was afraid I might have scared or discouraged you with my call.
Nice pic of Sam! He is a true blue friend!
Can't believe he is only 12, think that is because I think of him as Reggie for some reason, then I realize he is a different dog.
Funny how animals have their own personalities just like people do! Some people like physical affection and some don't. Joey is
learning to like it, and I think it helps when Rosie is around cause she sees how we hold Rosie and stuff and Rosie never growls or acts grumpy, so maybe she will learn eventually.
I sure hope so, she has been a lot sweeter lately, but then it can change overnight.
Wierd!
Well, have a good day tomorrow.
Hope you are staying warm, can't believe how long this weather is lasting, I think we need to tell Al Gore it must be the Global Warming for sure. They got 33" of snow in Vermont.
Can you imagine.
Love ya, Nellie
Love ya, Nellie