Saturday, January 9, 2010

Pet #3















Sarah is the same age as Sam (pet #2.)
I only had Sam a couple of months
when I discovered Sarah in the back
garage. She had gotten in during
the day when the door had been left open.
She made herself right at home.
I took her to the vet and he could
approximate her age due to the
teeth that had not come in as yet.
She was just about the age Sam was!
She didn't like to be inside much and
acted claustrophobic when she was.
It took some years before she became
comfortable being inside, but not at night!
My dear, what yowling went on when I
tried to get her to stay in, even when it was
cold. I generally made a bed of towels
in a box in the garage for her to come
and go as she wanted. She was about
five when she chose to stay inside
permanently! One afternoon I had
not seen her for sometime. It got to
be about 8:00 and I was getting worried.
One more time I opened the door
and she darted in before I could even
call her! She was looking all around the
room as though something was after
her. It wouldn't be until the next day
that my neighbor said he had seen a
fox in the area. Now Sarah was one
cat who loved to go at the "speed of light"
right straight up to the top of the oak
trees in my front yard. Once to the top,
she would stand on a limb swishing her
tail back and forth just daring anything
to follow her! Have no fear, she had no
problem shimmying back down when she
was good and ready. Something tells me
that's where she must have spent most
of her day when a fox had been sighted
in the area. From that point on she would
not go outside. So, I made her inside
life one of comfort. She had a cat tower
that even the dogs envied. She had her
on self-cleaning litter pan as well as
a fresh water dish that circulated the
liquid through a filter and out into a soft
swirling collection pool. She has now
been inside going on 7 years. The
dogs don't bother her. When they come
near her, she starts a low growl while
swishing her tail as if with a warning,
"You're in my space!" It's funny to
watch them veer off the other direction
while looking out the corner of their
eyes as if they were saying, "I really wasn't going
that way anyhow." She also likes to tease them.
She will be sitting under the table and
decide to take a running streak to her cat tower
right past where they are lying down.
Of course they can't resist the challenge;
but by the time they get up, she's already
raced to the top. All the scratching noise,
just leaves them there barking at her
while she looks down from the living
room ceiling swishing her tail in success!
It's amazing how animals that in the
wild would be enemies, but are right at
home when they have human
companions. What it must have been
like in the Garden of Eden before
man decided to take matters into
his own hands. It makes me so sorrowful
for my sin as well, that the beautiful
animal kingdom had to suffer because
man decided to be "like God knowing
good from evil." Now the beautiful
animals in the wild kill one another
for food to survive. Thousands of
animals are put down daily due to
the cruelty of man. Let us all remember
to spay and neuter our animals and most
of all try to get our animals from a
shelter to prevent their death before
they have ever had a chance at life.
One day the creatures God has created
will Praise their Creator in the presence
of the Wedding feast of the Bride and Groom.
(Romans 8:21-22)

No comments: