Friday, January 22, 2010

Pet #6

It is going on 6 years since I got Max. I went to a
bird auction with the intent of getting a Blue and Gold
Macaw! All of the cages had pairs in them. As I
walked around the large enclosure of hundreds
of birds, I came upon this large cage where
"Max" was. On the cage, 2 was scratched out and
1 written on the cage. I immediately said, "Hello,"
to which he flew across the large enclosure
and landed right in front of me saying, "Hello!"
I knew he was for me!
I stood in front of the cage, blocking the scratched
out number. As the auction came around closer,
you could hear the auctioneer saying, "Come on people,
these birds are worth more than $500.00!" With 2
birds to a cage, the final price of $1,000.00 would be
charged for both birds inside. Soon the auction came
to Max's cage. The bidding started. It went from $200 to
$500. I offered $600. The bid went to $700. I offered
$800. At that price, no one else put in another bid.
At that point he said, "$800.00 going once, twice,
sold for $800.00!" Immediately the price was
called out for $1600.00 to which I immediately
pointed out there was only one bird! As soon as it
was verified, there was a big moan in the crowd,
for many had come to get one bird to which there
were only a few, Max being one. Since "Sold" had
been proclaimed, I had my Macaw! What a
steal when these birds go for $3-$5,000!

He was placed in my carrier and I took him
immediately to my vet and had him checked
over. He was a great bird. He didn't even
scream, squawk, or holler! The vet was
so amazed. He says many of these birds
are so loud, it hurts your ears. Max allowed
himself to be wrapped within the towels
and just blinked as he was held on his back
for his check-up. He must have been
to vets from very young. He is the "shy"
macaw in my previous blog video. I'm
going to keep trying to get him to talk on
camera. He has quite the vocabulary. I
didn't think when I was standing by his
cage at the auction, that he may have a
vocabulary that would be unacceptable!!!
Praise God, He had Max for me and there
was no bad language! Be looking for Max's
future video!


1 comment:

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Max is such a pretty bird!! I love that beautiful shade of blue he has.
I see you found your sunshine award. thought
you would get a kick out of that!!
Hope you are having a good weekend.
gonna go have some breakfast,
See ya later,
Love ya, Nellie